domenica 12 maggio 2024

PLAY YOUR PART IN LOVE

“But now that so many things are changing, isn't it our turn to change too? Could we not try to evolve a little and, gradually, take on our part in the work of love?”(R.M. Rilke)

Italian Version Fai la tua parte nell'amore

This morning, which is a radiant May morning with a clear and tense sky, I woke up with Rilke's voice whispering to me. ‘Do your part in love’. Yes... because, as many now know, to me the night brings advice, sometimes even mayhem, and yet it is the time when I converse with ‘my invisible friends’, that is, the great poets and literati of all times. I turn on what Foscolo, my other companion of torment and passion, called ‘correspondence of amorous senses’. I do this discreetly, so as not to catch an immediate TSO, and yet the Way of Poetry is precisely this: the constant and immortal dialogue with the great souls who have gone before us, with those who have tried to walk in Beauty, despite the thorns and tears.

‘Do your part in love’...what was the good Rainer trying to tell me? Perhaps that the world is devastated, poetry degraded, beauty stifled but me, I can make a difference in my little corner of reality. Do your part in love, even if it is unrequited, unacknowledged, taken for granted and seems to make no visible change. Do it anyway, do it for your own redemption, for the flowers that offer beauty and are trampled on, for the cats that meditate on windowsills, for the "enchantment of your own heart". 

Send that message that costs you so much effort because you know it won't get the response you desire, make the phone call that won't change one iota of that relationship, invite the one who is left alone even though, as soon as they find their next partner, they will forget about you.

Do your part in love and do not look to see if others do the same.  Do not ask yourself whether it will be enough, whether you will have to do more, whether it will seemingly go to waste. Rather, open your heart's eye to the invisible, believe in the small and the subtle because in the end, as William Saroyan says, ‘love is immortal and makes all things immortal. But hate dies every minute’.

Per prenotare  un colloquio  di Counseling contattatemi attraverso il mio sito  Le Vie per l'Armonia.


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento